“The Lord is our shepherd”
St John’s Preparatory School was founded in 1956 by Peter and Barbara Hickman at their Borrowdale property. It began as a small family school with 13 pupils. It was their desire to establish a school for boys which offered a sound system of education in an atmosphere conducive to the growth and development of each personality. The school soon grew into a viable private school with 120 boys with a class in each grade from 1 to 7. The Preparatory School admits boys from the age of 5 to 12 for Infants, Junior and Senior Primary schooling.
By the late seventies, as St John’s became recognised as a reputable Preparatory School, it became necessary to change the governing structure of the school, which resulted in the formation of a Trust with a Board of Governors. Pressure on places was such, that in the early eighties the school doubled in numbers, and then trebled with three classes in each year group and a total of 525 boys. It continues to be a leading boys’ preparatory school in Zimbabwe.